Apple unveiled the Apple’s new iPhones for 2018 and now they are officially here. The new iPhones are called: iPhone Xs starting at $999, iPhone Xs Max starting at $1099 and iPhone XR starting at $749. The Samsung Galaxy Note 9 now has big competitor.
The iPhone Xs and iPhone Xs Max are almost the same and the biggest difference between these two is just the size. iPhone Xs comes same as last year, with 5’8″ screen and the new XS Max version with massive 6’5″ screen in form factor of the iPhone 8 Plus size.
The iPhone XR, comes in colorful aluminum finishes and features a 6.1-inch, edge-to-edge LCD display. Similar to the X and Xs, it runs on faster processors and offers enhanced camera settings. The battery will last an hour and a half longer than the battery in the iPhone 8 Plus, Schiller said
The iPhone Xs and Xs Max will be available for pre-order on Friday and they will ship on September 21st. The “cheapest” iPhone, which is called XR will be available for preorder on October 19 and will ship a week later.
iPhone Xs and Xs Max are now IP68 dust/water resistant (up to 2m for 30 mins), and the XR is IP67 dust/water resistant (up to 1m for 30 mins).
Now, the iPhone Xs offers a new processor for faster performance, storage space up to 512 GB, improved display for better color representation and a new gold color. As Schiller said, it’ll offer and extra 30 minutes of battery life.
For the first time ever, both phones now will offer dual SIM capability that allows users to have two phone numbers on the same phone.
The iPhone Xs and Xs Max cameras are sharing the same specs. Apple promises you’ll get more from the camera than you did with the iPhone X, specifically because of the power of the A12 Bionic chip inside. Also, the phones now have Smart HDR which can identify highlights and find shadow detail.
Other thing that is upgraded in the camera is the portrait mode and now you can adjust the the depth of a portrait mode photo after you take the photo, which gives you complete control over the blur.
These are the specs of the new iPhone Xs and iPhone Xs Max:
- Two sizes: 5.8-inch (458ppi) and 6.5-inch (458ppi) with OLED HDR display (Super Retina displays)
- Colors: Gold, silver and space gray finishes
- Camera: Dual-camera 12-megapixel wide and telephoto lenses
- Front-facing cameras: 7-megapixel camera will bring depth to portrait mode photos
- A12 Bionic chip: 7 nanometer processor promises to launch apps 30 percent faster than 2017 iPhones
- Storage options: 64GB, 128GB, 512GB
- IP68 water-resistance rating (2 meters depth; up to 30 minutes in water)
- Battery life: iPhone XS should last 30 minutes longer than iPhone X; iPhone XS Max claims 1.5 hours longer than the iPhone X
- Dual-SIM card support through eSIM technology
- Face ID promises to work faster at unlocking the phones
- 3D Touch pressure-sensitivite screen
- Stereo sound with a wider stereo field than 2017 iPhones
And these are the specs of the Apple’s lower priced product, iPhone XR:
- 6.1-inch LCD screen with 1,792×828-pixel resolution and 326ppi (Retina display)
- Aluminum body with glass back
- Single camera: 12-megapixel wide-angle lens, with OIS (same as iPhone XS)
- Storage options: 64GB, 128GB, 256GB
- Portrait mode photos through software
- FaceID with same True-Depth camera system as iPhone XS
- A12 Bionic chip
- Battery life claim: 1.5 hours more per day than the iPhone 8 Plus
- IP67 water resistance
- No 3D Touch on iPhone XR. Instead, you get haptic touch, like a trackpad
- iOS 12 software
- Colors: Blue, coral, yellow, white, black, Project Red
On the event, Apple also introduced the new Apple Watch Series 4. Well, the Series 4 Watch comes a very advanced heart monitors for taking an echocardiogram, or ECG. As Apple said, the Series 4 is the first over-the-counter device that can take a ECG. Apple’s software for the Series 4 can also alert users if they might have a heart condition like atrial fibrillation.
The screen is 30 percent larger than the last Watch generation, which was Series 3, core apps have been updated and redesigned, and users can customize a brand new watch face.
When it comes to the price, Watch Series 4 starts at $399 without cellular connectivity and $499 with cellular connectivity and is available to order starting Friday. Apple is also dropping the Watch Series 3 at the price tag of $279.